Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Wasp Woman


Roger Corman made a movie in 1960 called The Wasp Woman about a cosmetics magnate with an insane quest for eternal youth. She couples up with a crazed, beekeeping scientist who claims injecting her with royal jelly from his special wasps will do the trick. (Of course, in real life, only bees secrete this substance--wasps do not--but scientific accuracy was never the hallmark of anything Corman put out.) It does indeed restore her beauty, but has the unfortunate side effect of causing her to transform into a murderous wasp-lady.

Upon seeing this, like anyone, my very first thought was Why not set it to music?

So I put together what was essentially an EP of music inspired by this really lame film. When all was said and done I didn't much care for it. It was during the phase where I wanted to take the generic samples that came with the Acid sequencing program and try to transcend the fact that a kerjillion other people were using them by tweaking the actual song structure and come up with something different. I don't know if I succeeded or not, but the end results left me less than satisfied. Funny thing, time, in that in the here and now I don't mind it so much. If I remove myself from the process and just listen to it as music instead of a grand experiment I'm not quite so repulsed. I used a couple of these things in other projects, but here, for the first time in public, is the original sequence as it was originally designed:

Click on the titles in order to hear the mini-concept-cycle as God and myself intended:

1) Infestation

2) I Am The Wasp Woman

3) Some Days Just Get Shittier (Parts 1 and 2)

4) Wish Things Were Different

No comments:

Post a Comment